Today we are going to talk about How To Reset NVRAM / PRAM on a MAC. There are many reasons to reset your NVRAM; some may refer to it as PRAM. NVRAM stands for nonvolatile random-access memory. It is a small amount of memory used to store certain settings and configuration on your mac system. The following are some of the config your NVRAM may store:
- Status of Messages
- Display Resolution
- Start Up Drive / Disk Selection
- Serial Port Configuration and Port definition
- Alarm clock setting
- Application font
- Time Zone
- Serial printer location
- Autokey rate
- Autokey delay
- Sound volume
- Attention (beep) sound
- Double-click time
- Caret blink time (insertion point rate)
- Mouse scaling (mouse speed)
- Startup disk
- Menu blink count
- Monitor depth
- 32-bit addressing
- Virtual memory
- RAM disk
- Disk cache
- Recent Kernel panic information.
If for some reason your mac is having some weird problems such as running slow. Or your fan is spinning non stop. Or your battery is stuck at a certain percentage, even though you’ve left it plugged in overnight. Resetting the NVRAM or PRAM may fix the issue.
So if you are here because your mac is acting up. You may be able to fix the issue by resetting the NVRAM. Here is how you do this:
- First start off by completely shutting down your computer. Once your computer is shut down; proceed to step 2.
- Press the power button to turn the computer on. Let go of the power button and press the Option + Command + P + R keys simultaneously.
- Don’t let go of the keys as your computer restarts.
- If your computer restarts while following these steps. Congratulations! You have successfully reseted your PRAM.
The following image shows you the keys needed to be held down to reset the NVRAM:
After resetting your NVRAM. Some things like your mouse speed, Date, time and start up disk (if you have a specific hard drive you are booting from) may change. Upon logging back into your system; you may want to change your settings.
If for some reason. You’ve reseted your PRAM and you are still having issues. Leave us a comment and we will be happy to help you out! Thanks for reading.